HeaderRotator_PR_01.jpg

Read: Psalm 56

“You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.” (Psalm 56:8, NLT)

Aren’t tears a mysterious part of what it means to be human? It is strange that we have the capacity to cry—to expel water from our eyes when we are sad. It seems to serve no real purpose—although science can explain the physiological “why” and mental health experts can explain the psychological “why”.

That still leaves the question of “why” tears—why were we created with that capacity?

Perhaps this psalm provides a clue. Maybe they are to remind us that God cares about the things that make us sad enough to shed tears. So much does he bear our sorrow that he collects our tears in a bottle, as the New Living Translation says, or as other versions put it, “he records them in his ledger.” In other words, God takes note—implying that he is not only aware of our sadness, but he will not forget it.

What is it that is making you cry today? A heart broken by a fractured relationship? A dashed hope or the death of a dream? A failed family? A personal sin? The consequences of a past mistake that continues to haunt you? What is it that you feel such deep sadness over?

It is likely that no one truly knows the depth of what you are feeling right now. Maybe no one will ever see those tears that have rolled down your cheek—and the intense hurt that caused them. Even if they do see your tears, how sad it is that long before your pain is healed, people will forget and move on.

But there is One who sees…and One who cares…and One who never forgets…and One who will never move on! And He wants you to know that, my friend. And that One, your Heavenly Father, simply asks you to take comfort in His compassion for you (Psalm 103:13), and to place your trust in him. In fact, so strongly does he desire your trust, that he extends the invitation twice just to make sure you really know his heart for you. (Psalm 56:4,10-11)

I hope you will do that. Entrust those tears to God. And let the very next tear that fills your eyes and spills down your cheek be a reminder that your tears never really just dry up and fade into a painful memory, they go right into the bottle of that One who truly cares!

“A child’s tear rends the heavens.”
—Yiddish Proverb”

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 LNoah March 13, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Wow. Thanks for giving us such a personal view of God's tender love and mercies!

2 Pam February 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I so needed to read these words of hope today

thank you for your insight!

Blessings!

3 Barbara May 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thank you so much for a beautiful explanation. I will share with my Ladies at bible study. God bless you!

4 elaine September 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm

This is so inspirational and timely that i had to share it with a friend….

5 Bro.Manning January 22, 2012 at 3:54 am

Thank God for caring for his children

6 Jennifer July 17, 2012 at 6:28 am

This is soo very true. I praise rhe Lord for always being there when I most wanted to hear his voice. I have been in confusion and pain for th last few days and I have praying to the lord to speak to be and tell me that he loves me, just then, yesterday when I was most low and filled with tears, while we were doing the rosary, my dad read this verse in the end. It felt instantly as if it was meant for me to hear, the lord was talking to me. I was touched and blessed and felt soooo good that words cant describe my happines.. Thank you Lord!

7 Noah Martin October 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Hi, my name is Noah Martin from Johnstown, PA. I wrote a book entitled "Tears In a Bottle: Comfort for Life's Hurts." It centere around the same Scripture from Psa
56:8 that pastgor Ray Noah draws from for his comments. Emotional pain is a response to a significant loss, disappointment, hurt, fear or failure. You long for that which is not. Jesus dealt with pain, as did many biblical characters. You can learn to deal with pain by the way that Christ dealt with His pain. As I write: "Life takes on a different view from the empty tomb." Keep up the good work, Ray.

Noah Martin